cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <tsalora...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tree Search in Cassandra
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 07:53:36 GMT
On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:07 AM, David Boxenhorn <david@lookin2.com> wrote:
> I am not worried about getting the occasional wrong result - if I were, I
> couldn't use Cassandra. I am only worried about breaking the index as a
> whole. If concurrent changes to the tree happen to modify the same record, I
> don't mind if one of them "wins" as long as the result is a working tree.

Right: I would expect it not to be just an occasional missing or extra
update, but rather corruption of the whole thing. The whole point of
b-tree (and alike) structures is to bucket up set of things, splitting
up and merging buckets. Seemingly minor flaws during that processing
can FUBAR the structure itself.

Or maybe I am completely misunderstanding how you were thinking of
implementing this.

-+ Tatu +-