cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Chris Goffinet ...@chrisgoffinet.com>
Subject Re: Digg 4 Preview on TWiT
Date Mon, 28 Jun 2010 16:35:53 GMT
Digg is not forking Cassandra. We use 0.6 for production, with a few in-house patches (related
to our infrastructure). The biggest difference with our branch and apache 0.6 branch is we
have the work Kelvin and Twitter has done in regards to Vector Clocks + Distributed Counters.
This will never go into 0.6, but should hit 0.7 hopefully soon. We will start to move to 0.7
once it gets more stable.

-Chris

On Jun 28, 2010, at 7:53 AM, Kochheiser,Todd W - TOK-DITT-1 wrote:

> On yesterday’s “This Week in Tech” (TWiT) podcast with Leo Laporte (Wiki:http://wiki.twit.tv/wiki/TWiT_254),
Kevin Rose of Digg fame was a guest.  He gave a public preview of the new Digg 4; it looks
very nice and should be released in the next month or two.  He also mentioned that Digg 4
is using Cassandra and that it is an Apache Open Source project.  He mentioned Twitter and
how the Twitter and Digg engineers have been working closely on Cassandra related issues.
 There was a passing reference to Digg also working with Facebook engineers, but I could be
wrong on that point.

> On a related but separate note: While I am fairly new to Cassandra and have only been
following the mailing lists for a few months, the conversation with Kevin Rose on TWiT made
me curious if the versions of Cassandra that Digg, Twitter, and Facebook are using may end
up being forks of the Apache project or old versions.  As the Apache Cassandra project moves
forward with new features, are these large and very public installations of Cassandra going
to be able to continue contributing patches and features and/or accept patches and features
from the Apache project?  While most recent commits appear to come from Eric Evans and Jonathan
Ellis, the committers list for Cassandra does include, among many others, Facebook, Twitter,
and Digg.