cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Matthew Conway <m...@backupify.com>
Subject Re: Data format stability
Date Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:27:52 GMT

On Jun 13, 2010, at Sun Jun 13, 9:34 PM, Benjamin Black wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 13, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Matthew Conway <matt@backupify.com> wrote:
>> The ability to dynamically add new column families.  Our app is currently under heavy
development, and we will be adding new column families at least once a week after we have
shipped the initial production app. From the existing docs, it seemed to me that the procedure
for changing schema in 0.6 is very manual in nature and thus error prone and likely to cause
data corruption.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :)

> I do schema manipulations in 0.6 regularly.  The answer is automation.

I already have automation, whats missing are the details of the exact steps I need to automate
to accomplish the schema modification on a live cluster.  Even the FAQ just points to the
feature in 0.7 trunk.  :) If all I need to do is add new column families, is adding them to
the storage-conf.xml and doing a rolling restart of all nodes sufficient?

> As for data corruption: what did you read that gave you that
> impression?

I forget where I saw that, its been a while since I did the initial digging. maybe it was
an incorrect impression, or only related to schema renames.

> If this is the only motivator and you are really only changing things
> once/week or so, I suggest sticking with 0.6 and figuring out some
> automation.  You should be using it, anyway.

Even if I were to use 0.6, the same question stands - if the data format is going to change,
I need to know if there will be an upgrade path between the formats.  I'm using trunk right
now, but once I find a version that works for me (i.e. without the file descriptor leaks)
I'm unlikely to upgrade again till 0.7 is released.

Matt