cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Wouter de Bie <wouter.de....@deltaprojects.se>
Subject Consitency level ONE
Date Tue, 29 Jun 2010 09:54:07 GMT
Hi all,

I'm having some issues with read consistency level ONE. The Wiki (and other sources) say the
following:

Will return the record returned by the first node to respond. A consistency check is always
done in a background thread to fix any consistency issues when ConsistencyLevel.ONE is used.
This means subsequent calls will have correct data even if the initial read gets an older
value. (This is called read repair.)

However, when looking at the code, it seems that the read is only directed towards the first
node that is suitable (and alive). This means that a slow node will cause slow responses even
though my replication factor is > 1. I would expect the read to go to all the suitable
nodes and as soon as one of those nodes responds, the reply is used (just as the documentation
says).

Moving to Quorum reads would solve part of this problem, but with one server down and 1 slow
one, I'm back to square one.

Greetings,

Wouter