cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Dr. Martin Grabm├╝ller <Martin.Grabmuel...@eleven.de>
Subject RE: Inserting new data, where the key points to a tombstone record.
Date Wed, 09 Jun 2010 09:27:52 GMT
Hi Jools,

when using a consistency level other than ALL, there is no way Cassandra
can tell whether a given key currently exists in a cluster. There may be
several concurrent insert or delete operations for the key in progress which just
do not yet have propagated to the node which tries to determine the key's
presence.  This is a side effect of "eventual consistency", which is
Cassandras consistency model.  Eventually, everything will be consistent,
if you give the cluster enough time to get everything settled.

Martin

________________________________

	From: Jools [mailto:joolski@gmail.com]
	Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 11:09 AM
	To: user@cassandra.apache.org
	Subject: Re: Inserting new data, where the key points to a tombstone record.

	Hi Martin,

	Many thanks for the succinct, and clear response.

	I've got some pointers to move me in the right direction, many thanks.

	However, as a final point of clarification, is there a particular reason that insert does
not raise an exception when trying to insert over an existing key, or when the key points
to a tombstone record ?

	--Jools