cassandra-user mailing list archives

From aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>
Subject Re: Is there a penalty to a SuperColumn?
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2010 09:26:00 GMT
The only one I know is the one listed in http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/CassandraLimitations

The sub columns in a super column are not indexed, so the entire super column must be read
into memory when accessed.

I've tried using Super Columns and namespacing columns in a standard column, e.g. columns
called "foo.bar". But prefer using Super Columns when representing one "entity" with different
groups of columns.

Aaron

On 21 Jun 2010, at 20:33, David Boxenhorn wrote:

> I have a column family that doesn't need to be a supercolumn family right now, but I
think it *might* need to be one in the future. I'm considering making it a supercolumn family
with only one supercolumn per row to give me flexibility going forward.

> My question: Is there a penalty to this? If there is, I will make it a regular column
family and hope for the best.