I'll put something on the wiki if I can make it work...

Cheers
Mark

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Stu Hood <stu.hood@rackspace.com> wrote:
Ian: I think that as get_range_slice gets faster, the approach that Mark was heading toward may be considerably more efficient than reading the old value in the OutputFormat.

Mark: Reading all of the data you want to update out of Cassandra using the InputFormat, merging it with (tagged) new data, and then performing deletes/inserts (without reads) in a Cassandra OutputFormat makes a lot of sense to me. It gives you much better data locality: all reads happen in a streaming fashion (mostly: this is where we need improvement for get_range_slices) at the beginning of the job.

-----Original Message-----
From: "Ian Kallen" <spidaman.list@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 6, 2010 5:14pm
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Updating (as opposed to just setting) Cassandra data via Hadoop

I have inputs that are text logs and I wrote a Cassandra OutputFormat, the
reducers read the old values from their respective column families,
increment the counts and write back the new values. Since all of the writes
are done by the hadoop jobs and we're not running multiple jobs
concurrently, the writes aren't clobbering any values except the ones from
the prior hadoop run. If/when atomic increments are available, we'd be able
to run concurrent log processing jobs for but for now, this seems to work. I
think the biggest risk is that a reduce task fails, hadoop restarts it and
the replacement task re-increments the values. We're going to wait and see
to determine how much of a problem this is in practice.
-Ian