cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Primary and Backup clusters
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 15:43:50 GMT
I suppose you could use rsync (sstable files are immutable, so you
don't need to worry about not getting a "consistent" version of the
data files), but compared to letting Cassandra handle the replication
the way it's designed to,

# you'll generate a lot of disk i/o doing that vs
# your backup cluster will miss a relatively large amount of the most
recent updates
# your failover process will be more error-prone

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 8:05 AM, Viktor Jevdokimov
<Viktor.Jevdokimov@adform.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Our system (not Cassandra) have backup cluster in different datacenter in case of primary
cluster unavailability or for software upgrades.
> 100% of traffic goes to primary cluster. We switch 100% traffic to backup cluster in
case above for a short time, then when issues are resolved, traffic is switched back to primary.

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra