cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Vick Khera <vi...@khera.org>
Subject Re: get() with TTL update?
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 14:55:21 GMT
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 4:53 PM, Jonathan Ellis <jbellis@gmail.com> wrote:
> (a) cassandra does not use update-in-place storage so doing the update
> as part of the get call isn't much of an efficiency gain

If you could issue an "update" type of command, any other data needed
for the new copy of the object could be copied internally to the
server, saving the round-trip of that data over the wire to the
client.  I know from my own experience using Postgres that this is a
big win for some operations.  In this particular case there are
several megabytes of data involved, so there would be a significant
efficiency gain, IMO.