cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra data loss
Date Mon, 24 May 2010 18:26:24 GMT
You also need to set CommitLogSync to batch instead of periodic if you
Absolutely Cannot Lose Data.

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Joe Stump <joe@joestump.net> wrote:
> This is largely FUD. Cassandra let's you choose how consistent you want writes to be.
The more consistency you choose, the slower the writes, but it's very unlikely with high consistency
that you'll lose data.

> That being said, if you write with a consistency level of 0 then, yes, you could lose
data. Cassandra's consistency is much like root privileges on Unix systems; it gives you more
than enough rope to hang yourself if you so choose to.

> --Joe
>

> On May 24, 2010, at 9:47 AM, Steve Lihn wrote:
>
>> I am evaluating Cassandra as a candidate for our next-gen database. One of my colleagues
told me that "it's not recommended to use it as your system of Record because it CAN lose
data". Can someone with architecture understanding shed some light on under what circumstance
Cassandra cluster can either lose data or become inconsistent ? (a node in a cluster crashes,
network partitions, I/O glitches, etc.)

--
Jonathan Ellis
Project Chair, Apache Cassandra