cassandra-user mailing list archives

From David Rosenstrauch <dar...@darose.net>
Subject Building on top of Cassandra's core layer
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 21:55:13 GMT
I've had some neat ideas that I'd like to tinker with for a distributed
DB that implements a very different data model than Cassandra.  However,
I obviously don't want to reinvent the wheel - particularly because in
the case of distributed systems, the wheel is quite complicated and hard
to get right.

What I'm thinking would make more sense then is to build on top of the
Cassandra core (since it's obviously been implemented well and has been
proven to scale quite nicely) and then implement my own middle/top layer(s).

So I'm wondering:

* Anyone know if such a thing has been attempted before?  (And, if so,
links to any stories about success / failure / tips.)

* Would there happen to be any docs/blogs/emails providing useful tech
info for such an effort?

* What I should include/exclude from the Cassandra source code to start
building on?  Or, in other words, which package(s) from the source would
be considered to constitute the core layer?

TIA,

DR