cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mike Malone <m...@simplegeo.com>
Subject Re: Memcached protocol?
Date Mon, 05 Apr 2010 20:35:14 GMT

> That's useful information Mike. I am a bit curious about what the most
> common use cases are for atomic increment/decrement. I'm familiar with
> atomic add as a sort of locking mechanism.

They're useful for caching denormalized counts of things. Especially things
that change rapidly. Instead of invalidating the counter whenever an event
occurs that would incr/decr the counter, you can incr/decr the cached count
too.

In the case of Cassandra, they're useful for keeping counts of things in
general, since there's no efficient way to perform count operations with
Cassandra.

Mike