cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <tsalora...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ORM in Cassandra?
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:11:57 GMT
On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Ethan Rowe <ethan@endpoint.com> wrote:
> On 04/26/2010 01:26 PM, Isaac Arias wrote:
>>
>> On Apr 26, 2010, at 12:13 PM, Geoffry Roberts wrote:

>> In my opinion, a mapping solution for Cassandra should be more like a
>> Template. Something that helps map (back and forth) rows to objects,
>> columns to properties, etc. Since the data model can vary so much
>> depending on data access patters, any overly structured approach that
>> prescribes a particular schema will be of limited use.
>>
> For what it's worth, this is exactly my opinion after looking at the problem
> for a bit, and I'm actively developing such a solution in Ruby.  I spent
> So, for my approach, there's one project that gives metaprogramming
> semantics for building the mapping behavior you describe: build classes that
> are oriented towards mapping between simple JSON-like structures and
> full-blown business objects.  And a separate project that layers Cassandra
> specifics on top of that underlying mapper tool.

+1

I think proper layering is the way to go: it makes problem (of simple
construction of services that use Cassandra as the storage system)
much easier to solve, divide and conquer. There are pretty decent
OJM/OXM solutions that are mostly orthogonal wrt distributed storage
part. I understand that there are some trade-offs (some things are
easiest to optimize when Cassandra core handles them), but flexibility
and best-tool-for-the-job have their benefits too.

-+ Tatu +-