cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Paul Prescod <>
Subject Re: Memcached protocol?
Date Sun, 04 Apr 2010 21:15:19 GMT
On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 1:16 PM, Joe Stump <> wrote:

> Seems like this would be pretty easy to build on top of the proxy stuff
> that was recently mentioned.

I'm new to the list: is it easy for you to dig up a subject line or
message-id that I can google?

I was poking around to see how Avro was handled and noticed that it seems
you must choose between Avro and Thrift at startup. I was expecting that you
could do both at once as you can do (e.g.) FTP and HTTP at the same time in

> I don't see a reason why you couldn't just store key/blob-in-column to get
> running quickly.

Right, agree.

> Might make for a pretty interesting clustered queue system as well, which
> has been mentioned before on the list as well.

Yes, I was thinking about that too...need to think carefully about eventual
consistency issues versus once-and-only-once delivery though...

> In other words, Cassandra is quickly becoming the hammer to everyone's
> cluster nails. :)
> --Joe
> On Apr 4, 2010, at 12:47 PM, Paul Prescod wrote:
> Many Cassandra implementations seem to be memcached+X migrations, and some
> might be replacing memcached alone. Has anyone considered making a protocol
> handler or proxy that would allow Cassandra to talk the memached binary
> protocol?
> jmemcached + Cassandra = easy migration?
> I have barely started to consider the impedance mismatch issues, but the
> most glaring one is that the memcached namespace is flat, whereas
> Cassandra's has several levels of nesting. I think that this could be
> managed through configuration files. Either the user could map all Memcached
> stuff to a single ColumnFamily, or they could define a convention for
> splitting their keys based on special namespace characters like ":" or "_".
> The user could say how to interpret keys without enough parts (i.e. whether
> to treat the missing part as the keyspace or the columnfamily).
>  Paul Prescod

View raw message