cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Lucas Di Pentima <lu...@di-pentima.com.ar>
Subject Re: Just starting to play with Cassandra: (Surely) Dumb Question
Date Sat, 17 Apr 2010 14:52:48 GMT
Hello Jonathan,

I supposed the same, that's why I tried the count_columns() call, but when I try it with some
big SCF, I get the same error message:

Thrift::TransportException: Socket: Timed out reading 4096 bytes from 127.0.0.1:9160

Should I use count_columns() or is there any other way to know how much columns exists?

Best regards

El 17/04/2010, a las 01:14, Jonathan Ellis escribió:

> You're supposed to request a few hundred or thousand columns per call,
> then if you need more request the next set using the start parameter.
>
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Lucas Di Pentima
> <lucas@di-pentima.com.ar> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I'm playing with Cassandra 0.6.0-rc1 on a MacOSX, with the 'cassandra' ruby gem.
>>
>> I load some test data to it and I was trying the gem's get() API when I realized
that if I call it some way like this:

>> db.get('SomeSCFName', 'SomeKey')
>>
>> It returned me only 100 subcolumns when 'SomeKey' has approx 150000 subcolumns. Next
I tried calling get() like this:

>> db.get('SomeSFCName', 'SomeKey', :count => N)
>>
>> My problem is that when N is a number higher than 50000 (approximately), I get the
following error:

>> Thrift::TransportException: Socket: Timed out reading 4096 bytes from 127.0.0.1:9160
>>
>> The same happens if I call:
>>
>> db.count_columns('SomeSCFName', 'SomeKey')
>>
>> ...on the same 'SomeKey', but if I call count_columns() with some other key that
holds less columns, it works without problems.