cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mark Jones <MJo...@imagehawk.com>
Subject RE: Does anybody work about transaction on cassandra ?
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 14:24:38 GMT
Orthogonal in this case means "at cross purposes"  Transactions can't really be done with eventual
consistency because all nodes don't have all the info at the time the transaction is done.
 I think they recommend zookeeper for this kind of stuff, but I don't know why you want to
use Cassandra vs a RDBMS if you really want transactions.

From: dir dir [mailto:sikerasakti@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, April 24, 2010 12:08 PM
To: user@cassandra.apache.org
Subject: Re: Does anybody work about transaction on cassandra ?

>Transactions are orthogonal to the design of Cassandra

Sorry, Would you want to tell me what is an orthogonal mean in this context??
honestly I do not understand what is it.

Thank you.

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:14 PM, Miguel Verde <miguelitovert@gmail.com<mailto:miguelitovert@gmail.com>>
wrote:
No, as far as I know no one is working on transaction support in Cassandra.  Transactions
are orthogonal to the design of Cassandra[1][2], although a system could be designed incorporating
Cassandra and other elements a la Google's MegaStore[3] to support transactions.  Google uses
Paxos, one might be able to use Zookeeper[4] to design such a system, but it would be a daunting
task.

[1] http://www.julianbrowne.com/article/viewer/brewers-cap-theorem
[2] http://www.allthingsdistributed.com/2008/12/eventually_consistent.html
[3] http://perspectives.mvdirona.com/2008/07/10/GoogleMegastore.aspx