cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mark Jones <>
Subject RE: 0.6 insert performance .... Re: [RELEASE] 0.6.1
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2010 11:28:32 GMT
I'm seeing some issues like this as well, in fact, I think seeing your graphs has helped me
understand the dynamics of my cluster better.

Using some ballpark figures for inserting single column objects of ~500 bytes onto individual
nodes(not when combined as a cluster):

Node1: Inserts 12000/s
Node2: Inserts 12000/s
Node3: Inserts 9000/s
Node4: Inserts 6000/s

When combined as a cluster, inserts are around 7000/s (replication factor of 2)

When GC kicks in anywhere in the cluster, Quorum writes slowdown for everyone associated with
that node.  And the fact that there are 4 Nodes, almost implies garbage collection will be
going on somewhere almost all the time.

So while I should be able to write more than 12,000/second, my slowest node in the cluster
seems to overwhelm the faster nodes and drag everyone down.  I'm still running tests of various
combinations to see where things work out.

From: Masood Mortazavi []
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 6:15 AM
Subject: 0.6 insert performance .... Re: [RELEASE] 0.6.1

I wonder if anyone can use:
 * Add logging of GC activity (CASSANDRA-813)
to confirm this:

- m.

On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Eric Evans <<>>

Hot on the trails of 0.6.0 comes our latest, 0.6.1. This stable point
release contains a number of important bugfixes[1] and is a painless
upgrade from 0.6.0.

[1]: (changelog)

Eric Evans<>

View raw message