cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Joe Stump <...@joestump.net>
Subject Re: Deployment on AWS
Date Sat, 03 Apr 2010 21:45:54 GMT

On Apr 3, 2010, at 1:53 PM, Benjamin Black wrote:

> What specific features are you looking for to operate on EC2?

It seemed people weren't looking for features, but tools to help with the management. The
two things we've created that people might be interested in are:

1. An EC2-specific rack-aware strategy. Basically, you put your AWS key/secret into the storage-conf.xml
and the node automatically figures out what AZ's (that's Amazon speak for data center) each
node in the cluster is in and then ensures that records are stored in each AZ (depending on
your replication factor of course). This allows you to spread your writes far and wide and
keep your reads local to each AZ.

2. We've cooked up a lot of Fabric recipes that use Boto to provision an EC2 instance, bootstrap
it, and add it to the cluster. All with  just a few commands. It takes us about 5-10 minutes
to bootstrap a new node into the cluster.

The rack-aware strategy is attached to a ticket already[1], but I think there is a minor bug
with the patch.

--Joe

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-666