cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Ethan Rowe <et...@endpoint.com>
Subject Re: ORM in Cassandra?
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 19:27:36 GMT
On 04/26/2010 03:11 PM, Tatu Saloranta wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Ethan Rowe<ethan@endpoint.com>  wrote:
>
>> On 04/26/2010 01:26 PM, Isaac Arias wrote:
>>
>>> On Apr 26, 2010, at 12:13 PM, Geoffry Roberts wrote:

>>> In my opinion, a mapping solution for Cassandra should be more like a
>>> Template. Something that helps map (back and forth) rows to objects,
>>> columns to properties, etc. Since the data model can vary so much
>>> depending on data access patters, any overly structured approach that
>>> prescribes a particular schema will be of limited use.
>>>

>> For what it's worth, this is exactly my opinion after looking at the problem
>> for a bit, and I'm actively developing such a solution in Ruby.  I spent

>> So, for my approach, there's one project that gives metaprogramming
>> semantics for building the mapping behavior you describe: build classes that
>> are oriented towards mapping between simple JSON-like structures and
>> full-blown business objects.  And a separate project that layers Cassandra
>> specifics on top of that underlying mapper tool.
>>
> +1
>
> I think proper layering is the way to go: it makes problem (of simple
> construction of services that use Cassandra as the storage system)
> much easier to solve, divide and conquer. There are pretty decent
> OJM/OXM solutions that are mostly orthogonal wrt distributed storage
> part. I understand that there are some trade-offs (some things are
> easiest to optimize when Cassandra core handles them), but flexibility
> and best-tool-for-the-job have their benefits too.

Right.  Additionally, this mapping layer between "simple" (i.e.
JSON-ready) structures and "complex" (i.e. business objects) would seem
to be of much more general value than a Cassandra-specific mapper.  I
would think most any environment with a heavy reliance on Thrift
services would benefit from such tools.

--
Ethan Rowe
End Point Corporation