cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mike Gallamore <mike.e.gallam...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: At what point does the cluster get faster than the individual nodes?
Date Wed, 21 Apr 2010 16:16:39 GMT
Some people might be able to answer this better than me. However: with
quorum consistency you have to communicate with n/2 + 1 where n is the
replication factor nodes. So unless you are disk bound your real expense
is going to be all those extra network latencies. I'd expect that you'll
see a relatively flat throughput per thread once you reach the point
that you aren't disk or CPU bound. That said the extra nodes mean if you
should be able to handle more threads/connections at the same throughput
on each thread/connection. So bigger cluster doesn't mean a single job
goes faster necessarily, just that you can handle more jobs at the same
time.