cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Eric Evans <eev...@rackspace.com>
Subject Re: framed transport
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:22:58 GMT
On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 09:49 -0500, Lee Parker wrote:
> What is the benefit of moving to framed transport as opposed to
> buffered transport?

The framed transport probably provides better (smarter) buffering, but
it was added in Thrift to support asynchronous servers. In a perfect
world, there wouldn't even be a choice; this is a Thrift implementation
detail that leaked into the APIs.

The more relevant question here is interoperability, since not all
transports are covered. For example, if you wanted to use Python and
Twisted for clients, you're going to have to use the framed transport on
the server. But, if you've enabled framing on the server, you will not
be able to use C# clients (last I checked, there was no framed transport
for C#).

So, if you don't need to make a choice based on client interoperability,
then give them both a try and see which one works best for you (but I'm
guessing that you won't notice a difference).

--
Eric Evans
eevans@rackspace.com