cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reason for not allowing null values for in Column
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 18:14:03 GMT
On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 12:07 PM, Erik Holstad <erikholstad@gmail.com> wrote:
> So why is it again that the value field in the Column cannot be null if it
> is not the
> value field in the map, but just a part of the value field?

Because without a compelling reason to allow nulls, the best policy is
not to do so.

> All of this makes total sense, I'm wondering about use cases where you want
> get an empty row when you don't know if it has been deleted or not.

If you're saying, "I understand that doing X would be Really
Inefficient, but I want you to do it anyway because of some use case
that nobody actually needs so far," then I think you have your answer.

If that is not what you are asking then you'll need to give me a
concrete example because I don't understand the question.

-Jonathan