cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Ted Zlatanov <>
Subject Re: finding Cassandra servers
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:00:33 GMT
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 10:43:19 -0600 Eric Evans <> wrote:

EE> It's entirely possible that you've identified a problem that others
EE> can't see, or haven't yet encountered. I don't see it, but then maybe
EE> I'm just thick.

Getting back to my original question, how do you (and others) find
usable Cassandra nodes from your clients?  It's supposed to be a
decentralized database and yet I only know of centralized ways (RRDNS)
to locate nodes.  Contacting the seeds is not a decentralized solution
and sidesteps the issue.  It also complicates the client unnecessarily.

EE> Either way, if you think this is important, the onus is on you to
EE> demonstrate the merit of your idea and contrib/ or a github project is
EE> one way to do that (the latter has the advantage of not needing to rely
EE> on anyone else).

I'll submit a core patch in a jira ticket.  It's much easier than
writing a full application and IMHO much more useful because it "just
works."  If it gets rejected I'll move to contrib/ as you and Gary

View raw message