cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Denis Greze <jeande...@6coders.com>
Subject Re: How to model hierarchical structure?
Date Sat, 06 Mar 2010 21:50:13 GMT
This really depends on the operations you want to optimize for.  What's
important to you?  Aggregate queries?  Finding children/siblings/ancestors?
 Reorganizing the tree/hierarchy?

For Cassandra, you really need to spend time thinking about how you'll be
accessing things and design for that.

If it's a 2-3 level hierarchy, then straight forward approaches like what
Jeff suggested seem logical.

Otherwise, I'd say if you've got an arbitrary-level hierarchy, then you'll
have to think about how to efficiently adapt one of the usual suspects for
this stuff (adjacency lists, nested sets, materialized paths, etc.).  I, for
one, would be interested in knowing if anyone else's experienced with this
kind of stuff in Cassandra.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/192220/what-is-the-most-efficient-elegant-way-to-parse-a-flat-table-into-a-tree/192462#192462

and the like might be good places to start.

--
jeandenis@6coders.com
(917) 951-0636

solely for the use of the individual to whom they are addressed. If you have
received this email in error please notify the system manager. This message
contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual
named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate,
distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by
e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail
from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified
that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on
the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.