cassandra-user mailing list archives

From shiv shivaji <shivaji...@yahoo.com>
Subject Dynamically Switching from Ordered Partitioner to Random?
Date Fri, 05 Mar 2010 19:42:02 GMT
I started with the ordered partitioner as I was hoping to make use of the map-reduce functionality.
However, my data was likely lopped onto 2 key machines with most of it on one (as seen from
another thread. There were also machine failures to blame for the uneven distribution). One
solution which I am trying is to load balance. Is there any other thing I can try to convert
the partitioner to random on a live system?

I know this sounds like an odd request. Curious about my options though. I did see a post
mentioning that one can compute the md5 hash of each key and then insert using that and have
a mapping table from key to md5 hash. Unfortunately, the data is already loaded using an ordered
partitioner and I was wondering if there is a way to switch to random now.

Shiv