cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A configuration and step-by-step procedure for production deployment ...
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 04:29:44 GMT
On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Masood Mortazavi
<masoodmortazavi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a configuration and step-by-step *procedure* for production
> deployments of Cassandra?

Not really.  As w/ any cluster deployment, some basic sysadmin kung fu
is required, and we don't go into that (although I suppose maybe we
should).

For the Cassandra side you should read

http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/CassandraHardware
http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations

> By the way, I've noticed that not all potentially configurable setting may
> actually be included in the -- storage-config.xml -- that's distributed with
> the releases.

I think we've exposed all the useful ones now. :)

> [For example, there seems to be some default setting for R
> (number of necessary reads, in the W+R ? N formula a la Dynamo paper), and
> it is not clear to me how to over-rie it in config.xml.]

If there is, it's dead code.  R and W in the Dynamo paper become
ConsistencyLevel in thrift requests.
(http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/API)

-Jonathan