cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra versus HBase performance study
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2010 22:35:22 GMT
On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 9:45 PM, Brian Frank Cooper
<cooperb@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> We are using get_range_slice, and the AsciiType comparator. I'll try to run a test with
BytesType; but how much difference do you expect?

Dunno.  We really haven't done a lot with this; it's not even in our
stress test tool.  Compaction is roughly 2x as fast with bytestype as
asciitype, and scanning is vaguely similar to that.

> I would be interested to know the types of optimizations you are planning. We are trying
to understand how much of the performance results from fundamental design decisions versus
how much results from the fact that the system is still under development.

Right now scanning does one pass to get the keys, then another to get
the slices, so merging those is the really obvious one.

-Jonathan