cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mark Robson <mar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Change Partitioner
Date Thu, 07 Jan 2010 11:45:01 GMT
2010/1/7 JKnight JKnight <beuknight@gmail.com>

> Dear all,
>
> Because we want to traverser all data, we need to change partitioner to
> ordered type.
>
> I want to change Partitioner from
> org.apache.cassandra.dht.RandomPartitioner to
> org.apache.cassandra.dht.OrderPreservingPartitioner.
>
> How can I do that?

Well, start by prototyping the change in your test environment and checking
that with a large data load, the keys you're using are likely to get spread
evenly between the nodes (Hint: They probably won't).

Then make any changes to get evenly spread keys.

Of course changing the keys is an incompatible change as well.

I hope you don't have any production data in there.

Then blow away your entire data and restart the nodes with
OrderPreservingParitioner

Mark