cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: replace a bad node through bootstrapping
Date Fri, 15 Jan 2010 03:12:05 GMT
On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 9:02 PM, Michael Lee
<mail.list.steel.mental@gmail.com> wrote:
> If a node's data has been damaged, you cannot use new node replace old one directly,
unless 'removetoken' first.

> But, (suppose node A is dead)
> 'removetoken' will complement missing replica due A's death first, it will generate lot
data on other nodes, say it's B, C, D
> After add new node and copy data from other node through bootstrapping, you have to 'cleanup'
data just
> generate from ' removetoken ' on B, C, D
>
> So, B/C/D will have heavy I/O load (half of them is waste) due to repair A, in pan's
case, it will be 5TB (and will cause days...)

> Pan try to invent a method to repair A directly through streaming, and have less impact
on other nodes.

Thanks for clarifying that.

I thought we agreed in your last thread about this that bootstrapping
a replacement node (the old node can be the replacement, as long as
you change its IP address) first, then removing the entry for the dead
one, would be a reasonable procedure here.

-Jonathan