cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra and TTL
Date Tue, 12 Jan 2010 21:47:52 GMT
On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Sylvain Lebresne <sylvain@yakaz.com> wrote:
>> Right, that is why the ticket says you would want to disable
>> compaction if you want to truncate less than the whole CF.
>
> Indeed, make sense now. But disabling compaction would have
> an impact both on the data size and on the read performance, right ?
> I suppose that it would mostly be viable if you truncate often enough.
> Do we have an idea of the kind of impact disabling compaction would
> have ?

Depends on how many overwrites you are doing.  If each row is only
present in one or two sstables it is not so bad, but if it needs to
combine a few dozen row versions for each query, that will get
painful.

So yes, that suggestion is primarily intended for "I can keep the
number of sstables relatively small but truncating often and using a
large memtable size."

-Jonathan