cassandra-user mailing list archives

From "Christopher McKenzie" <cmcken...@iizuu.com>
Subject RE: [VOTE] Graduation
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:04:33 GMT
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply.  Given your explanation, graduation now has my vote too.

~chris.

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Evans [mailto:eevans@rackspace.com]
Sent: Tue 1/26/2010 8:14 AM
To: cassandra-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: [VOTE] Graduation

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 20:18 -0800, Christopher McKenzie wrote:
> Although cassandra appears to be compliant to the guidelines on that
> page and the policy page, I've still found myself having to manually
> patch and tweak the code for my usage case, which I don't feel is very
> esoteric.
>
> Would you agree that the status of graduation would also encompass the
> idea of an end user just having to install a compiled form of the
> application, and then work of documentation?

No, I would not. This isn't what graduation is about.

> I understand that there are sometimes critical bugs in even the most
> mature software; but I'm still at a point where dealing with bugs is a
> modus operandi with cassandra.  Some other datastores that I use, such
> as postgres and memcache for instance, have never had issues that
> required me to read or patch the source.

Cassandra is significantly more complex than memcache, and far less
mature than both memcache and postgres. The code isn't perfect, but it
sounds like your expectations are a bit off as well.

> I guess my overall fear is that if implicit in graduating is making
> such a claim, and if this generates a large spike of usage, the core
> developers may end up spending more time responding to emails then
> developing.

Again, it isn't implicit. Graduation is about the community's ability to
sustain itself, and to operate in accordance with the ASF's guiding
principles[1].

Unless you are arguing that the code is abnormally buggy, and that this
is the direct result of a dysfunctional and unhealthy community that
will both embarrass the ASF, and embroil it in costly legal disputes,
before disintegrating to leave Cassandra as an obscure historical
footnote? :)

[1] http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

--
Eric Evans