cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Daum <r...@thimbleware.com>
Subject Re: How to lower the number of <CF> has reached it's threshold ?
Date Thu, 21 Jan 2010 02:52:28 GMT

> The second question is really direct : do you think it's insane to use EC2
> small instance to build a cassandra cluster. The machine are virtualized
> with 2G memory

We are using 6 ec2 small instances + EBS to build a cluster. I can't say
it's seen significant stress -- perhaps 50 writes a second, but performance
has been acceptable for us on writes. Reads are not as fast as I would like
-- 3600 row keys with 60,000 super columns retrieved in about 10seconds, but
again, acceptable for our purposes.

I'd be interested to see how you net out and what you decide for
configuration.  Large instances are unfortunately quite a bit more expensive
than small, but at least the have advantage of 64-bit CPU and more memory.

Ryan