cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <>
Subject Re: How know node is fully up?
Date Wed, 23 Dec 2009 04:50:36 GMT
It's up when it logs "Cassandra starting up..." and starts listening
for thrift connections

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 10:16 PM, Brian Burruss <> wrote:
> I never heard from anyone about this.  I think it is important for bringing nodes out
of service during upgrades so no data loss occurs.  Also when introducing a new node you
need to know when it is fully populated.
> Tux!
> Brian Burruss <> wrote:
> How can i tell that a node is completely up and taking reads and writes?
> - at startup?
> - after new bootstrap?
> - after a node has been unavailable for some time and rejoins the cluster?
> i see the "INFO [main] [] Cassandra starting up..." message in
the log, but it seems to have happened way too fast after i simulated a crash.
> using tpstats i don't see any ROW-READ-STAGE completed, but lots of ROW-MUTATION-STAGE
completed which seems to be correct for a node that is still sync'ing with the cluster after
being unavailable.
> .. but how do i know ;)
> thx!

View raw message