cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Very simple benchmark - are this typical numbers?
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 18:23:23 GMT
same thing, you are going to need multiple threads to max it out

but yes, reads are typically slower than writes in cassandra because
of how the log-based merge structures work

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 11:09 AM, Timo Nentwig <timo.nentwig@wooga.net> wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2009, at 5:59 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:
>
>> yes and no -- that's about 4200/s, which is typical for only a single
>
> When writing, yes. But I would expect reading to be much faster (?). Re-executing the
read test doesn't speed up things either (I/O caches).

>> thread but 1/3 to 1/5 of what you'd expect it to max out (on our
>> quad-core test boxes) when you add client threads
>>
>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Timo Nentwig <timo.nentwig@wooga.net> wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I just downloaded, installed, start cassandra and ran very simple "benchmark":
write n times something with key==value==testInsertAndGetAndRemove_n (one thread).

>>> For n==10 million on a 7200rpm HDD (4G RAM - there should have be "reasonably"
free mem however I didn't check) this took 40min (insert()ing one after another). Reading
them one by one in sequence delivers about 100/s, reading in 1.000er batches (i.e. multigetColumn())
takes 5-10s (depending on n, the higher the slower).