cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: data modeling question
Date Thu, 03 Dec 2009 22:30:06 GMT
On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Coe, Robin <robin.coe@bluecoat.com> wrote:
> I *think* I like the idea of Cassandra pushing a CF change to its peers, as opposed to
managing it by a separate admin task, simply because I wouldn't want a change managed by an
application admin to be missed because of bad communication, forgetfulness, etc., with the
Ops team.

Managing this w/in cassandra is bad separation of concerns.

If your ops team really can't be trusted with "push this new config
file out" then that should be a separate tool.

> So, considering that I currently have to take down a node to make a CF change, I'm wondering
how to perform automatic failover from my application?  Is there a mechanism by which I can
request from Cassandra all the destination IP:ports for the nodes in a cluster, so I can adapt
dynamically?

Again, there are standard solutions for this.  Use one. :)  round
robin dns, haproxy, ...

-Jonathan