cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Joseph Bowman <>
Subject Re: Cassandra vs HBase
Date Sun, 06 Dec 2009 04:12:14 GMT
When I wrote my Why Cassandra article, I didn't get into the why I didn't
choose x platform because I didn't want to start a flame war by doing
comparisons. For HBase, the primary reason I didn't choose it is that while
there were benchmarks of what it could theoretically do, there wasn't any
real real world deployments proving it. My experience as a systems
administrator is that it's best to go with a product that's been proven over
time in real world scenarios.

I'll add to this though, that nothing nosql, even Cassandra, has reached the
point where I feel it's no-brainer to choose it over anything, including sql
based solutions like mysql and oracle. It really comes down to your

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 11:04 PM, Matt Revelle <> wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2009, at 21:45, Joe Stump <> wrote:
>> On Dec 5, 2009, at 7:41 PM, Bill Hastings wrote:
>>  [Is] HBase used for real timish applications and if so any ideas what the
>>> largest deployment is.
>> I don't know of anyone off the top of my head who's using anything built
>> on top of Hadoop for a real-time environment. Hadoop just wasn't built for
>> that. It was built, like MapReduce, for crunching absurd amounts of data
>> across hundreds of nodes in a "reasonable" amount of time.
>> Just my $0.02.
>> --Joe
> While Hadoop MapReduce isn't meant for realtime use, HBase can handle it.
> Over last summer there were some benchmarks included in HBase/Hadoop
> presentations that showed, IIRC, performance comparable to Cassandra.

View raw message