cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Tatu Saloranta <tsalora...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: date range queries
Date Wed, 16 Dec 2009 07:17:48 GMT
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Adam Fisk <a@littleshoot.org> wrote:
> This is still baffling me a bit, Jonathan. I'm running from a trunk
> snapshot from a few days ago (2009-12-07).
>
> I'm creating time UUIDs using "JUG" (http://jug.safehaus.org/) as my
> SuperColumn key names for batch_insert calls. That seems excessive but
> works - the only Java lib I found for creating time-based UUIDs. I'm
> successfully calling batch_insert using those UUID bytes as my
> SuperColumn names. I think this is correct, but please correct me if
> not.
>
> Then, however, I can't figure out how to get any more than data for a
> single SuperColumn from get_slice. It seems the way to do this would
> be to specify a ColumnParent that only contains a ColumnFamily. When I
> do this, however, I get the following exception:
>
> InvalidRequestException(why:UUIDs must be exactly 16 bytes)
>        at org.apache.cassandra.service.Cassandra$get_slice_result.read(Cassandra.java:3170)
>        at org.apache.cassandra.service.Cassandra$Client.recv_get_slice(Cassandra.java:170)
>        at org.apache.cassandra.service.Cassandra$Client.get_slice(Cassandra.java:144)

Perhaps you are converting UUIDs to String representation (36 ascii
chars == 36 bytes), instead of binary (byte[16])? JUG can give out
both, it's a rather simple lib (and yes, that JDK variant only dishes
out random number based ones is bizarre, but partly since Ethernet
address was only recently exposed in JDK 1.6 or so)

-+ Tatu +-