cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Timo Nentwig <timo.nent...@wooga.net>
Subject Re: Very simple benchmark - are this typical numbers?
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 17:09:34 GMT

On Dec 7, 2009, at 5:59 PM, Jonathan Ellis wrote:

> yes and no -- that's about 4200/s, which is typical for only a single

When writing, yes. But I would expect reading to be much faster (?). Re-executing the read
test doesn't speed up things either (I/O caches).

> thread but 1/3 to 1/5 of what you'd expect it to max out (on our
> quad-core test boxes) when you add client threads
>
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 10:38 AM, Timo Nentwig <timo.nentwig@wooga.net> wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> I just downloaded, installed, start cassandra and ran very simple "benchmark": write
n times something with key==value==testInsertAndGetAndRemove_n (one thread).

>> For n==10 million on a 7200rpm HDD (4G RAM - there should have be "reasonably" free
mem however I didn't check) this took 40min (insert()ing one after another). Reading them
one by one in sequence delivers about 100/s, reading in 1.000er batches (i.e. multigetColumn())
takes 5-10s (depending on n, the higher the slower).

>> Are this typical numbers for cassandra (0.5)? I actually took the configuration as
it was.