cassandra-user mailing list archives

From <mail.list.steel.men...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: Why seed can't startup in Bootstrap mode ?
Date Wed, 23 Dec 2009 09:43:29 GMT
So, once a seed crash and damage it's data, we cannot wipe the node and
re-bootstrap, because node cannot bootstrap if configured as seed.
Also we can not re-configure node to a non-seed, because that will reduce
total number of seeds,
so eventually all old data will lost(one by one), or there is no seed(all
seed was re-configure to non-seed).

Am I right??

---------END----------

-----Original Message-----
From: Jonathan Ellis [mailto:jbellis@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 11:46 AM
To: cassandra-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Why seed can't startup in Bootstrap mode ?

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 9:39 PM, zhangyf2007 <zhangyf2007@gmail.com> wrote:
> Consider the following scene:
> 1) the ReplicationFactor is 3
> 2) the cluster has 3 nodes and all the nodes are seed nodes
> 3) one node is dead while the data it managed is also damaged
unfortunately
> 4) it starts up but it can't request any data from other node

you can either repair the existing data or wipe the node, remove it
from the cluster, and rebootstrap.

this has nothing to do with being seeds; bootstrapping is for adding
new nodes to the cluster, doing it to a node that already has data on
it is wrong.

see http://wiki.apache.org/cassandra/Operations

-Jonathan