cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Michael Greene <>
Subject Re: Incr/Decr Counters in Cassandra
Date Wed, 04 Nov 2009 21:54:50 GMT
This has come up before at
I am in favor of adding eventually-consistent atomic operations such
as this, but I'm not sure how one would implement it.  Some sort of
UUID + bloomfilter for the individual atomic operations?  I tend to
think "retrieve and increment" as requested by Jon is at odds with
eventual consistency, but maybe I'm wrong.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Bill de hOra <> wrote:
> Chris Goffinet wrote:
>> Hey,
>> At Digg we've been thinking about counters in Cassandra. In a lot of our
>> use cases we need this type of support from a distributed storage system.
>> Anyone else out there who has such needs as well? Zookeeper actually has
>> such support and we might use that if we can't get the support in Cassandra.
> I tend to need a generalization on incr/decr which is plus/minus (eg for
> quota management). Having these in Cassandra would be great.
> Bill

View raw message