cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Edmond Lau <edm...@ooyala.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra users survey
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 23:37:27 GMT
At Ooyala, we're in the process of testing and productionizing
Cassandra to store and serve our near real-time video analytics data.
Ooyala provides a comprehensive platform for professional video
publishers and enterprise companies looking to build up their online
video presence, and analytics/monetization is a key part of the
platform.

We researched a variety of systems to replace our current MySQL
solution, including HBase, Cassandra, Voldemort, and some others.  Of
those, we seriously considered HBase and Cassandra as satisfying our
needs b/c of HA, scaling, and the more fully featured data schema,
which is a better fit for our high dimensional data.  For both HBase
and Cassandra, we designed data schemas, built functional prototypes
of our application, conducted a fairly thorough performance
evaluation, tested the two systems for various failure scenarios, and
also evaluated how easy each system was to maintain and run.

What I'd like to see in Cassandra:
- More comments in the source code, esp. high-level descriptions of
code organization.  Design docs for various functionality would also
be helpful in getting other folks to contribute.  This was one area
where HBase was significantly better.
- Better bootstrapping and load balancing support (bootstrapping
seemed broken in 0.4.2), but I've seen a lot of work done in these two
areas for 0.5.

Edmond