cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra users survey
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 02:39:19 GMT
On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 8:17 PM, matthew hawthorne <mhawthorne@gmail.com> wrote:
> A few desirables for cassandra:
>
> 1) I'm not a huge fan of thrift.  it would be nice if the client jar
> came packaged with cassandra  (I had to manually build it from the
> thrift-generated java).

It's there, it's just not split out in a separate jar.
org.apache.cassandra.service.Cassandra, etc.  (Probably for someone
better at ant than I, creating a separate cassandra-client.jar for
this would be easy.)

> also, the lack of streaming support is troubling.  a lot of our
> internal services are http, and I'd like to be able to connect a
> column's input stream to the output stream of an http response,
> instead of loading it all into memory.

I've mentioned this to Thrift developers, too, but I'm not holding my breath. :)

> 2) a practical/situational view of managing a cassandra cluster
> it would be nice to have a more comprehensive deployment guide.

You're right.  Maybe we can get Digg to share theirs. :)

> you fellows at Rackspace should consider offering Cassandra support.
> I know that the ability to have some paid professionals come in and
> train our ops team on how to monitor + manage a cassandra cluster
> would have made a huge difference for us.

My impression is that Rackspace is more comfortable with the "we'll
manage your cluster for your" model than the "we'll train you to do it
yourselves" one, but maybe there is room for both.

-Jonathan