cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra access control
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 16:49:59 GMT
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Jonathan Mischo <jmischo@quagility.com> wrote:
> > Let's keep it simple.  Forcing multiple connections from a purely
> > hypothetical use case is a no-brainer tradeoff.  Connections are not
> > expensive.

> Even if we can do it sensibly? Connections aren't hugely expensive, but
> they're not free, either.

I suppose, but if it requires sending a keyspace param w/ each call,
then it's not sensible.  You waste far more overhead for that in the
common case -- serializing, deserializing, checking that it's been
authed -- than you gain from not having another connection in the
uncommon one.

I would be okay with being able to send a 2nd auth call to an existing
connection to switch the "current" keyspace, similar to how rdbmses
only have one active schema at a time.