cassandra-user mailing list archives

From matthew hawthorne <mhawtho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Cassandra users survey
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 02:17:03 GMT
I work for Comcast, and we have tons of data that we are migrating
into non-relational storage.

we recently evaluated cassandra, riak, voldemort, and hdfs.  I focused
on cassandra, this is why you may have seen me asking dumb questions
over IRC :-)

A few desirables for cassandra:

1) I'm not a huge fan of thrift.  it would be nice if the client jar
came packaged with cassandra  (I had to manually build it from the
thrift-generated java).

also, the lack of streaming support is troubling.  a lot of our
internal services are http, and I'd like to be able to connect a
column's input stream to the output stream of an http response,
instead of loading it all into memory.

2) a practical/situational view of managing a cassandra cluster
("deployment guide", maybe) would be nice.  for my evaluation, I was
seeking answers to questions like:

- how do I add capacity?

- how do I remove capacity? (I believe you're calling it "decommissioning")

- what files should I backup?

- how can I mitigate the risk of lost writes during a power failure?

- how can I ensure that my writes go to multiple data centers?

I think overall the docs are good (I found answers to most of my
questions), but since a lot of groups are analyzing cassandra in this
fashion, and needing to make a sales pitch to management, ops, etc. --
it would be nice to have a more comprehensive deployment guide.

you fellows at Rackspace should consider offering Cassandra support.
I know that the ability to have some paid professionals come in and
train our ops team on how to monitor + manage a cassandra cluster
would have made a huge difference for us.

thanks!

-matt