cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Mischo <jmis...@quagility.com>
Subject Re: bandwidth limiting Cassandra's replication and access control
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 02:20:56 GMT
Ian,

All valid points, though using a common login is considered poor
security.  Usually you see a per-application login, which is generally
just fine, and then anyone who might directly access the database has
a named login for accountability reasons.  Yes, some companies use a
single common login, but that's just laziness.  And yes, DBAs are
people too, but if you limit who has access to your system, then you
make your pool of potential security violators a lot smaller, and make
investigations a lot faster (usually pointing to a connection from the
wrong application...let's face it, developers aren't infallible, as
much as some like to pretend otherwise).

-Jon