cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: on bootstrapping a node
Date Wed, 28 Oct 2009 21:24:37 GMT
On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Edmond Lau <edmond@ooyala.com> wrote:
> Sounds reasonable.  Until CASSANDRA-435 is complete, there's no way
> currently to take down a node and have it be removed from the list of
> nodes that's responsible for the data in its token range, correct?
> All other nodes will just assume that it's temporarily unavailable?

Right.

> Assume that we had the ability to permanently remove a node.  Would
> modifying the token on an existing node and restarting it with
> bootstrapping somehow be incorrect, or merely not performant b/c we'll
> be performing lazy repair on most reads until the node is up to date?

If you permanently remove a node, wipe its data directory, and restart
it, it's effectively a new node, so everything works fine.  If you
don't wipe its data directory it won't bootstrap (and it will ignore a
new token in the configuration file in favor of the one it stored in
the system table) since it will say "hey, I must have crashed and
restarted.  Here I am again guys!"

Bootstrap is for new nodes.  Don't try to be too clever. :)

> if I wanted to
> migrate my cluster to a completely new set of machines.  I would then
> bootstrap all the new nodes in the new cluster, and then decommission
> my old nodes one by one (assuming
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA-435 was done).  After
> the migration, all my nodes would've been bootstrapped.

Sure.

-Jonathan