cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jurijs Girtakovskis <jgirtakovs...@gmail.com>
Subject cassandra upgrade strategy
Date Tue, 06 Oct 2009 21:37:04 GMT
Hi,

What would be the direction to take as far as preparing for future
cassandra updates? My understanding is that there were changes between
0.3 and 0.4 that required extra work to port (some?) data from older
format, please correct me if I'm wrong. If that's the case and/or if
that is a possibility in future, then what would be the right approach
to take for those considering Cassandra 0.4 for production?

I currently see three possibilities:
	1. That will never happen - formats will always stay compatible and
newer version will be able to take older data and use it. Nothing to
do for me.
	2. That may happen, but if it does, there will be a conversion
utility (built-in or standalone) taking care of upgrade. Nothing to do
for me, other than running upgrade tool.
	3. That may happen, and if it does data conversion must be performed
using custom tools. Custom upgrade tool needed.

Thank you in advance for your constructive feedback and/or pointers to
resources that lead to answers!

-JG