cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Mark Robson <mar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: random n00b question
Date Tue, 15 Sep 2009 10:17:15 GMT
2009/9/15 Matt Kydd <mk@storefu.com>

> We need to persist the sessions and associated shopping baskets /
> activity summaries somewhere and Cass seems like a good fit, without
> the restrictions imposed by SQL there would be less necessity to purge
> old sessions.

Purging the old sessions in Cassandra would be nontrivial. Moreover, as
Cassandra doesn't give you consistency, it's a very bad session store.

Also seeing as session data are typically very small (If they're not, you
have more problems), the motivation for storing them in Cassandra would be
little.

Why not use a conventional database with some redundancy solution - you'll
get consistency and for the volumes of data that a web site - even a very
busy one - has in its sessions, it won't be a problem.

Mark