cassandra-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Ellis <jbel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Anybody experience one Cassandra server locking up?
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 02:36:01 GMT
On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Brian Frank
Cooper<cooperb@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> We are using "RandomPartitioner." However, I have noticed that some of the boxes have
significantly more data (in /var/cassandra/data and /var/cassandra/commitlog) than others
(like 30 X more).

Ah, with small numbers of nodes you should manually space tokens
around the ring instead of having them pick one randomly.  You can do
this w/ the InitialToken directive before starting the node *for the
first time* (afterwards it stores it in the system keyspace, under
data/).  The digg guys should have a utility done soon to set it
post-start but that is the only option for now.

> Incidentally, the system is quite fun to play with, and the startup is very easy (just
start the nodes and they all find each other.) Writing the client (e.g. dealing with thrift)
was much harder.

Yeah, thrift is a pain.  It's the worst possible option except for all
the others. :)  (E.g. protocol buffers doesn't do RPC; avro only does
java/c/python, ...)  That's why you have more idiomatic clients for
python, ruby, scala, at the least.

> I wonder whether a lot of users had tried to write C++ clients

I think you're the first.  Why put yourself through that kind of pain
just to test things out? :)

-Jonathan