Your new node will contact a seed.

On Jul 14, 2009, at 11:10 AM, mobiledreamers@gmail.com wrote:

Mark and Jonathan
I m lost here

Dont we need to specify atleast the server ip address in  the conf file. How would cassandra know which ips they are running in ie the other servers.

I can see there is a way to specify seed but how would the seeds pick up the other servers if they do not know their ip address

Also given the unlimited # of ips it cannot jus go thru each one of the ips and ping 7001

Servers other than seeds are automatically picked up by the cluster when they start up; the nodes talk amongst themselves to figure out who's there.